Reed diffusers are lovely additions to your home. Not only do they provide a wonderful, long lasting scent but you can place them just about anywhere. Reed diffusers are perfect for small spaces, like bathrooms or guest rooms. My favorite part – you can re-use any kind of glass bottle that you may have around your house! I didn’t realize how easy they were to make until Mandi brought them to my attention! You can also try your hand at DIY Spray Odor Obliterator, Bathroom Refresher, or these awesome Toilet Bombs!
What you’ll need:
- An up cycled or new glass bottle
- 4-5 (or more) Diffuser reeds
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of carrier oil
- A splash of vodka, just to loosen things up a bit.
- 20 drops of essential oil for every 1/4 cup of carrier
What you’ll do:
- Add the liquids to the glass container, stir well with one of the sticks.
- Once combined, drop in your desired amount of essential oils. Stir again.
- Place reeds into glass container, and allow to absorb some of the liquids.
- After about an hour, flip them over.
- Turn the reeds over every 5 days, to encourage the smell to waft through your space.
- Refill as needed with additional carrier and essential oils.
To gift this idea simply blend your essential oils in a 5ml bottle. Package the skewers and bottle separately and include instructions above, have your recipient add the blend to the olive oil and they can “make” the gift themselves. A great DIY to share as a gift for your neighbors or for that holiday party as a hostess gift!
A few scent ideas to get you started:
- Christmas tree: 15 drops fir needle or pine plus 5 drops sweet orange
- Spicy citrus: 8 drops sweet orange, 8 drops lemon, 3 drops cinnamon leaf, 1 drops clove bud
- Warm & cozy: 8 drops cinnamon leaf, 8 drops sweet orange, 3 drops vanilla, 1 drops nutmeg
- Home for the holidays: 10 drops sweet orange, 7 drops cinnamon leaf, 3 drops pine
- The great outdoors: 12 drops fir needle, 5 drops sweet orange, 2 drops nutmeg